2023 Spring Semester ScholarshipsThe Scholarship Program of Washington University of Virginia (WUV) The scholarship program of WUV exemplifies WUV’s commitment to providing a high quality, affordable education. The program is an integral part of the institution’s effort to develop and maintain the instructional programs necessary to serve the needs of WUV’s academic community. All scholarships will be awarded not only on the basis of academic merit but also on the promise of future achievement, leadership and/or financial need. The program shall be administered to ensure fairness and accountability. Scholarship coordination is to be facilitated in a manner which provides the most effective and equitable distribution of available funds to students. Lists of Scholarship Scholarships are classified into two major classifications: Competitive Scholarships and Community Scholarships. Within these classifications, the following scholarships are currently offered:
- Academic Achievement Scholarship – awarded each semester based on approved budget and strength of applicant pool. Award eligibility must be 3.7-4.0 term GPA
- Needs-based Scholarships – eligible to students demonstrating model citizenship and a desperate financial hardship. The student must submit an application with a reference from the Dean of Student Life.
- Designated Scholarships – are scholarship funds given to the University by a donor who expresses wishes or placed “designation” on how the funds are to be used. Award eligibility will differ dependent on donor designations. WUV awards all designated scholarships in adherence to specific donor designations and/or intent of the donor’s gift.
- Special Scholarships for M.Div. and BSF students – eligible to students who received Pastoral recommendation from the senior pastor of the church where the students is involved in ministry. (Please see below the required information) – M.Div. students must successfully complete the mentored ministry class every semester. – BSF student: This scholarship will be applied to the only students who started BSF degree in 2019 Fall semester. (Same eligibility as M.Div. Special Scholarship Program required information please see below)
- Legacy Scholarship – eligible to students with two or more “immediate” family members registered as full-time students. Application, transcripts, a legal family record that proves immediate family relationship required. The award amount is $200.
- Pastoral Scholarship – eligible to ordained pastors for study. The student must submit an application along with transcripts, Certificate of Ordination, and Church Bulletin. The student must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above. The award amount is $38 per eligible credit hour for Undergraduate, Graduate students and $350 for ESL Students. The pastoral scholarship is not applicable for Doctorate course students.
- Pastoral Family Scholarship – eligible to immediate unmarried family members of 30 years or younger or the spouse of an active ordained pastor. The student must submit an application along with transcripts, Certificate of Ordination of the related pastor, legal proof of the applicant’s immediate family relationship, and a copy of a recent weekly church bulletin. The student must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above. The award amount is $38 per eligible credit hour for Undergraduate, Graduate students and $350 for ESL Students. The pastoral scholarship is not applicable for Doctorate course students.
- Missionary Scholarship – eligible to active missionaries or those who have spent more than 7 years in mission fields. The student must submit an application along with transcripts, Missionary Certificate or proof of missionary work and tenure, and résumé. The student must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above. The award amount is $65 per credit hour for Undergraduate, Graduate students and $600 for ESL Students. The pastoral scholarship is not applicable for Doctorate course students.
- Missionary Family Scholarship – The immediate family of a qualified missionary has the same eligibility as a pastoral family member (see above).
- Students transferred from WUV Maryland Campus – eligible to students who transferred from Maryland campus due to the closure of the campus. The students must submit the application for this scholarship. The scholarship can cover the length of the degree that the students pursued when they enrolled in the Maryland campus. -The scholarship is renewable every semester until graduation on the following conditions a. The students must register Full time and consistently continue in program b. ineligible if program is changed or applied other degree programs c. In case the student takes a leave of absence for the reasons other than medical reason, he or she becomes ineligible for renewing the scholarship.
- Failure to maintain GPA requirements
- Failure to maintain all scholarship specific eligibility requirements
- Withdrawal from program of studies for whatever reason including cease of study, temporary leave of absence, expulsion, etc.
- Only completed applications within the deadlines will be considered for scholarship. Late applications will not be considered.
- There are no retroactive benefits for application eligibility or awards.
- Applicants must be registered with a full course of study.
- Applicants must not have been on any probation within 1year of applying for award.
- Applicants to more than one scholarship during the course of one semester of study are only eligible to receive one University sponsored scholarship at a time regardless of eligibility. Faculty and staff are encouraged to help guide students in selection of the one most beneficial scholarship.